Friday, July 31, 2009

mawwige...mawwige is what brings us togevver today.

Title is courtesy of one of my favorite movies ever... the Princess Bride!

The topic is courtesy of my sister and her husband's 5th anniversary.

Here are this single girl's musings on marriage.

1. It is a beautiful thing.


2. Its not about the wedding.
--as much as all of us un-married girlies like to plan our weddings in theory, it's only one day. If people put as much work into marriage as they put into pulling off beautiful weddings, I think that divorce wouldn't be as crazy rampant as it is. I have been lucky enough to have several beautiful examples of REAL marriage in my life. My parents have been married for 31 years. I have lived with them for 24 of those years. And I have never EVER doubted for a moment that my parents loved each other. And now, my sister and her hubby have been married for 5 years. True love is kinda cute. Not gonna lie.

(p.s. I love the ideas of leopard print shoes hiding under a wedding dress. that's hot.)

3. It is work.
--Whoever penned the phrase "...and they lived happily ever after..." should be shot. Honestly, are you serious? Do you think that Belle and the Beast lived the rest of their days smiling at each other, waking up with no bed head, and he never had any relapses of the "I told you never to come here!!!!" moments? Did he just wake up differently one morning, changing his habits over night? No. It's gotta be work. (Although, neither Belle or the Beast had mothers-in-law, so that had to simplify something... :-D). How about Prince Phillip and Sleeping Beauty? They sang one song together, she almost died (slept 100 years...died...really, what's the diff?), and then they got married. I'm sure they had a huge wakeup call shortly after the honeymoon. And really, he's my favorite (and clearly the most handsome) Disney Prince. If he has issues, who wouldn't?

4. It is worth it.

--I can only say this from what my favorite married people have told me. Having someone who knows you inside and out, and still loves you...that must rock. Waking up beside your best friend every day. Having someone greet you with a smile when you come home from work, and actually wonder how your day was. The SAME person giving you a kiss before you leave for work in the morning... Someone to support the decisions you have to make together, someone to have children with, someone to lean on when you feel like you can't stand alone anymore...

Dear future husband,
I so look forward to life with you. Not a perfect life. Not an easy life. But a life together.

Ashley
me and my sis on her wedding day

No comments: